Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Will Worlds Collide?

Artwork by L.Hansen






Are you like me? I sort of live my life in two worlds: Online as a blogger, researcher, networker and educator and in a place some may call the "real-world" where I am a mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, networker, volunteer, chief, cook and bottle washer.

To quote Marcel the Shell, "I love where I live..." It all depends on perspective, I guess. I love where I live online and in the real world, too. In my online world, I have made friends, met famous people (I really did!), made acquaintances, learned new things and even organized a small group to help a social cause. Although, I've not had success in Second Life flying as an avatar without crashing into buildings or walking without falling off the edge. My friend says the internet may be considered another dimension. Interesting, no?

In the real world, we live in paradise. Our home is magical, musical and wondrous. We have two daughters, one teen and one tween and my husband is a musician. Need I say more? I have met a few famous people face to face, too, come to think of it. Too bad we didn't have cell phones and Twitter back then so I could show you.  Unfortunately, my disposable camera read "0" at that very opportune moment.  Alas.

As you may already know, bringing the online and the real world together, or at least the people in them, has been noted to have value. At the very least, I have noted this. There is a lot of talk on education forums (on Twitter in particular- well, specifically, on #Edchat) about how technology is useful and necessary for teaching and learning. It is suggested that those who are not taking advantage of technology and social media (Facebook, blogs and Twitter, to name a few) are excluded, missing out.

Let's face it- if we submerge ourselves in any one thing in particular, we will not be aware of what else is around us or, for that matter, what's happening online. Have you missed out on a recent holiday savings because you didn't bid on a Groupon deal? Did you read about the latest breaking news on Twitter, perhaps, or maybe Facebook?  Did you then Retweet it or maybe share it on Facebook? It's nice to share!

Have you ever missed a punchline when your friend was telling a story because someone texted you or you had to check just one more email? Have your eyes wandered onto your monitor while you had a phone in your ear and you missed the number to press "for English" and then had to redial yet another time? I hate it when that happens!

Being “well connected” can be very stimulating as well as exhausting.   I greatly appreciated my time off from online teaching over the holidays. It was the first time in a long time I was completely unplugged, the first time I took my own advice. Well, it was actually Richtel's advice that I advocate and share via blogging-which is kind of ironic if you think about it. While I was "away" from work, I set my Microsoft Outlook Out of Office message. I did not answer emails. I did not Tweet. I was, in essence, "away" from one part of my life.  It was nice.


Well, as you can see I am back in the virtual saddle. In an effort to connect, network and share, I present to you Vicariosity: A blog that may help connect two worlds for the good of all or maybe just for fun. 

I hope to lasso you in.

~Laurie

P.S.

Will worlds collide? Where there is a Will there is a way! Private joke, folks. Or maybe it is a little obvious. Hat Tip to ya in the title there, my friend. Did ya notice?




2 comments:

  1. Have you ever ignored your husband's conversation because you were in the middle of the feverish type-o-thon? :) XO XO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I got the joke. TK :-)

    ReplyDelete